Maps & Mapping
Maps of year 2016
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p-a-w-e-l
USER: P-A-W-E-L

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 08:35    Post subject: Maps of year 2016

Hello!
So once again we will pick the best maps which were released in current year. Cool
This time mappers offered us 72 brand new maps.
Here is the maplist:

NEW MAPS:

BT-HappyNewYear2016
BT-NeverEndingRushing
BT+Countries
BT-(bar)AcademyTraining-I4G
BT-(Lvkkie)IntoTheDepths
BT-(ow)RushengV-v2
BT-(ow)RushengVI
BT-Extremely~Easy_Edition~
CTF-BT-HDMI
BT-IceCavern
BT-Skirmish
BT-RushMap
BT-AoB-FFS
BT-FirsTruSH-HV
BT-Songofbirds
BT-HomerSimpson
BT-NightFall][
BT-SongOfBirds-v2
BT-NightFall][-EZ
BT-(ow)Targeteng-v3
BT-(ow)Targeteng0-v2
BT-Easy-but-long-EZ
BT-(ow)Lightneng-EZ-v3
BT+EotY2015-EZ
BT-Altercation
BT-UnarbitrarilyAztec
BT-SkaarjBT-v2
BT+Warp_Room
BT-(ow)Bounceng][
BT-Aztec
CTF-EndOfLadder
BT-(bar)Compilation-Fix
BT-Affinity-V2
BT-WeeDy
BT-OwYeaW
BT-AfterLife
BT-(UTW)100_for_SneakFreak
BT-WatchDogs
BT-NightCall
BT-Sub1
BT-OrangeCity-v2
BT-Maybe-vF
BT-Slide1337
BT-(ow)Glitcheng][-v3
BT-(ow)RushengVII-v3
BT-Merdos-HV
BT-SexyParty!
BT-(UTW)CompilaRamses-EZ
BT-(UTW)Bud_Spencer][
BT-(ow)HammerStageng1
BT-(ow)HammerStageng2
BT-(ow)HammerStageng3
BT-(ow)HammerStageng4
BT-(ow)HammerStageng5
BT-BlackBook
BT-IronCastle
BT-Tartarus-v2
BT-Aurola
BT-IceFacility
BT+Warp_Room][-v2
BT-(DiE)MagmaArea
BT-GeneralRush
BT-StarGuardians-vF
BT-Small_Map
BT-MadeInChina
BT-Dangerous_Volcano
BT-Dangerous_Volcano-EZ
BT+RoomsLevel-dbl
BT-Egypt_Temple
BT-MerryChristmas2016
BT-PurpleChristmas
BT-BackToMars

Feel free to share your best maps below. Smile
Can't wait Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

Last edited by p-a-w-e-l on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:41; edited 1 time in total

h
USER: MAHMOOD

RampageRampage
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 09:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightfall and targeteng were one of the best maps despite them being really difficult lol, although there are many maps here that i haven't even tried yet...

p-a-w-e-l

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 09:01    Post subject: Re: Maps of year 2016

16 maps that could be on your lists and are worth to mention Cool
Nightfall
Nightfall-ez
targeteng
songofbirds
lightneng-ez
eoty-ez
unarbitrary
SkaarjBT
aztec
(bar)Compilation
compila ramses-ez
bud-spencer
purple xmas
backtomars
MadeinChina
Starguardians

And my top5 ( pretty hard to chose tbh Neutral ):

Nightfall
Nightfall-ez
(ow)lightneng-ez
(bar)Compilation
(ow)targeteng

And an explanation:
Ramses maps were cool but kinda boring sequence at the end and shockrifle part in Spencer, and compila was just copy of HV but just easier Razz
Not fan of whitney's unarbitrary or skaarjbt as end parts in both maps are too punishing. Although very nice builds!
PurpleXmas was awesome to rush but could be even better without long dodges and jump arounds.
Song of birds boring.
eoty2015 from roel - the problem is it's nice map, but original is too hard and -ez version too easy to deserve my spot. Very Happy
My maps - too short to be top 5. Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Wink

Last but not least, I have to admit that Tartarus by Safester was the most horrible map not only in this year, but also one of the worst BT maps, which is pity. Bugs everywhere, antipawel-crater device didn't work in many !cp less runs, every bit of map is too tickrate-based. Rotating movers stop for a while on diffrent servers than i4g.
Also laser part after anti-pawel drop is pretty legit, had so many deaths here.
Other players also needed quite a while to cap this crap, many of them ( including me ) struggled with this for days....
Nicely themed map but obstacles suck as hell Evil or Very Mad, pure annoyance.

Thanks for read Cool U're persistent if you're still here! Laughing
Applause Applause

p-a-w-e-l

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:41    Post subject: Re: Maps of year 2016

Updated list with BT-GeneralRush, which is also worth mentioning.
Ty owyeaw

OwYeaW
USER: OWYEAW

DominatingDominating
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasnt entirely sure how to order my top5, but for me these 5 maps really stand out from the rest:

CTF-BT-NightFall][-EZ
CTF-BT-(ow)Targeteng-v4
CTF-BT-IceCavern
CTF-BT-GeneralRush-v3
CTF-BT-Aztec

i choose the NightFall][-EZ version over the original version since this EZ version is overall less punishing and more enjoyable to play for any player in general

i also chose for one of my own maps, since i think Targeteng is the best map ive made so far

IceCavern for its overall originality and fine gameplay

even tho GeneralRush is fixed and polished by myself i think this is Whiteys best map

and last but not least i chose for Aztec because the map has overall good gameplay and has a nice theme with great looks

-Whitey-
USER: PENNYWISE

RampageRampage
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 00:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really pick 5. (not because their isn't 5 great maps just can't think of 5)

But (ow)Targeteng was by far the most fun i've had playing BT in a long time,

and StarGuardians was probably one of the funnest to rush.

P.E.R.N
USER: PERN

i4Games Admin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 01:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually i don't answer to this Subject because I rarely manage to review all the new maps/don't play that much in some period.

But this time its easy for me to answer : 3 maps were amazing for me and I brought all the new commers/returning guys to play them (was pleased to see Avalanche back for a night Wink)
- Targeteng easy
- NightFall easy
- Lightneng easy

The two first got great sucess, the third one a bit less because its harder to figure it out but great rewarding to sort it by your own.

`Chr1st-BLS
USER: CHR1ST

RampageRampage
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't played all of them, but will just list some maps in no particular order that I think are great or that pleasantly surprised me.

BT-HDMI
BT-SongOfBirds
BT-Targeteng-v3
BT-UnarbitrarilyAztec
BT-GeneralRush
BT+EotY (EZ / HV - preferably somewhere in between these two heh).
BT-NightFall][ (EZ / HV - same story as above, minus the ending Smile )

SAFeSTeR
USER: SAFECRACKER

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 22:15    Post subject: Re: Maps of year 2016

Now I know this thread isn't about my map, but seeing that Paw decided to single it out and describe it's many, many 'flaws' (map comments are there for a reason), I feel I have to respond.

p-a-w-e-l wrote:
I have to admit that Tartarus by Safester was the most horrible map not only in this year, but also one of the worst BT maps, which is pity.

To say it's one of the worst maps ever is a bit harsh don't you think? I can take criticism, but as a mapper yourself I'm quite disappointed to read this from you. Surely you can appreciate the time, work and effort that went into making it, rather than some floating blocks, repetitive obstacle kinda map made in 1 hour?

p-a-w-e-l wrote:
Bugs everywhere, antipawel-crater device didn't work in many !cp less runs, every bit of map is too tickrate-based. Rotating movers stop for a while on diffrent servers than i4g.

Bugs everywhere? Not really. It did have some but I managed to iron them out before release, which took some time, effort and much online testing (thanks Ghost), however, these were mainly cosmetic and didn't affect gameplay.

People say the bouncer at the dodge shoot section after the fire pit dodge is bugged. It isn't. It's all about positioning your dodge and timing the shot but I bet most people will try the same thing over and over hoping to get it right.

The 'Rotating movers' you refer to are actually assert movers and when used in this way they will pause briefly each time they start their sequence, I'd have thought you would have known that being a mapper. Think of the 'rotating movers' in Efreet for example, they also have that slight pause. Using true rotating movers would have been extremely buggy so I made best of what I had in UED.

I can't account for how different servers react to my maps settings, the pauses are really nothing that's going to affect you greatly, so as an experienced player you should have no real problems timing them. If I made some of the obstacles easier to suit higher ping players then many of them wouldn't work as intended and I really wouldn't be happy releasing anything too far off the original idea I had, sorry about that.

p-a-w-e-l wrote:
Also laser part after anti-pawel drop is pretty legit, had so many deaths here.
Other players also needed quite a while to cap this crap, many of them ( including me ) struggled with this for days....
Nicely themed map but obstacles suck as hell Evil or Very Mad, pure annoyance.

Not sure what you mean by 'legit', I would use that as a compliment but I guess this isn't your intent.

The laser part isn't actually that hard after some practice, passing it on a couple of !cp runs isn't enough to guarantee a high success rate on a proper run. Perhaps being at the end of the map made it seem worse than it is?.

Many maps require a lot of time to train and cap, so saying that other players needed time to cap isn't really a valid comment, it just means the map is hard, I'm not sure what you expect from me, just easy maps? Take the time to train it and you'll eventually cap it, maybe it just wasn't suited to you or your style of play or perhaps the 'vibe' you got from it didn't satisfy?

Finally, Like many of my maps, I made Tartarus because I thought it had quite a few original obstacles / combos that would test players somewhat and make them think a bit differently, as a result I knew the map wouldn't be to everyone's taste. Perhaps next time I will copy some other people's ideas or make a simple repetitive boring map (have a think about that).

-Whitey-
USER: PENNYWISE

RampageRampage
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Tartarus. It's a really clean map, great design and lighting is very nice too ( a little dark in some spots)

However the map is still bugged for me on V2
The purple lasers don't kill/injure anywhere which makes skipping certain buttons and even not having a care in the world as to whther yoiu touch them makes the map easier.

The fire pit doesn't kill you at all (with the big logs)

You did say you fixed all bugs so maybe for some odd reason i'm probably just experiencing this.

Although i disagree with pawel on how "bad" the map is. I understand some of the flaws.... But everymap has them.

}ElitE{Bon
USER: BONKET

DominatingDominating
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 00:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I had most fun with Targeteng, as well.

Franky`
USER: FKY

RampageRampage
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

top 7 maps of 2016 for me:

BT-NightFall][-EZ
BT-(ow)Lightneng-EZ-v3
BT-(ow)Targeteng-v3
BT-SkaarjBT-v2
BT-UnarbitrarilyAztec
BT+EotY2015-EZ
BT-(bar)Compilation-Fix

lvkkie
USER: LVKKIE

DominatingDominating
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are few of my favs for this year in no particular order. It was a pretty good year for BT, besides that the amount of people playing was so low this year. But we had some great maps this year Smile.

BT-BackToMars
BT-Affinity
BT-GeneralRush
BT-Aztec
BT-(ow)Lightneng-EZ
BT-NightFall][-EZ
BT+EotY2015-EZ

And of course, the classic,

BT-WeeDy Cool Cool Cool Cool

p-a-w-e-l

Godlike!Godlike!