Forum Forum rules Search FAQ
Maps & Mapping
Official topic: Unfair shortcuts in BT maps
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P.E.R.N
USER: PERN

i4Games Admin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 16:56    Post subject: Official topic: Unfair shortcuts in BT maps

As you all (should) know, unfair shortcuts aren't allowed on i4Games.
These shortcuts allow players to skip one or more rooms or difficulty.

It's up to mappers to fix them.
If they aren't fixed for some reason, we have several possibilities:
- Ban players who use them
- Remove the map until an hypothetical fix is done
- Allowing some of them by making them public.

This post is the official unfair shortcuts list i4Games is allowing.
By being known to everyone, they become FAIR to everyone.
Wallbugs (glitches) is a good example as they are not easy to fix without changing completely the obstacle.

This topic is not for all players to post all the shortcuts they want to show.
Only admins/trustees will post them after deciding which ones to allowed.

Don't hesitate to report them to the staff, don't use them if they aren't in this post, don't show them to other players (bad example), don't use them even if someone already did; you would be banned and your time would be deleted.

~)BD(~Lorgic
USER: LORGIC

RampageRampage
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

could u be more clear in what is and what isn't an unfair shortcut.
For example is the pin trick in BuriedCityOfUr an unfair shortcut or a legal one, since u skip a part of the map. but it doesnt make it much easyier persé.. How do rushers know when they are going across the line shortcut whise.

i do know at what your aiming, but if the description keeps unclear at points, you could end up in an discussion way more than needed, if someone is crossing a line in an admin's point of view. whilst the player could defend himself and say he isn't because it wasn't easyier or blabla.

P.E.R.N
USER: PERN

i4Games Admin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTF-BT-(Ba)SpeedCat

Wallbug in the second room. You fall directly.

Last edited by P.E.R.N on Sun Mar 29, 2009 22:27; edited 1 time in total

GhOsT
USER: GHOST

i4Games Admini4Games Admin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorgic wrote:
How do rushers know when they are going across the line shortcut whise.

erm.. Report? Ask if it's allowed?

Lorgic wrote:
you could end up in an discussion way more than needed, if someone is crossing a line in an admin's point of view. whilst the player could defend himself and say he isn't because it wasn't easyier or blabla.

There is nothing to defend/discuss, found a shortcut? Report !! NOT use then report !!

Report Report Report as stated in the rules but i guess some forgot them so this is a reminder.

DanBennett
USER: DANOMANUK

Wicked Sick!!Wicked Sick!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 08:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

How can you allow an UNFAIR shortcut? Confused

[i4g]CouilleNoire
USER: COUILLENOIRE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanomanUK wrote:
Hmmm

How can you allow an UNFAIR shortcut? Confused

Quote:
By being known to everyone, they become FAIR to everyone.

Needing glasses? Wink

}ElitE{Mike`
USER: DINOMITE

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so could we see the official list of allowed scs? i could tell you 100 maps which have used unfair shortcuts, but whats the point, nothing ever changes. Its time admins were on the rushers side to help the rushers rather than deter them from using your servers. Do we have to demo to prove we didnt use a shortcut? Im certain torm used a bsp glitch on suckfest but all he has to say is "no i didnt" and all is well? how exactly are you preventing people using these tricks?

edit: is the idea here to show people these shortcuts? so all are aware and therefore its fair? hmmm ok i see but i would hope no legit shortcuts become apparent that high skilled rushers have found. There is always a degree of confidentiality in my runs, in that some shortcuts i wont show to certain players, and will to others. I would happily show to admins ofc however i don't think 100% of rushers will appreciate their tricks being shown publicly.

delete_my_account
USER: K_BUNNY

DominatingDominating
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda agree with mike. A shortcut is a trick found... the only time i see it being unfair is a BSP, or a trick skipping rediculously large parts of the map (ruining the map a little) i.e 30%

DanBennett

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its pathetic.

So because the shortcut is known its allowed...
That takes the fun out the game.

if there are shortcuts they should be removed, not flippin exploited by all :/

GhOsT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortcut(s) known by all and allowed is erm.. fair play?
Most maps are deleted and fixed and re-uploaded but not all of them, mappers don't want to fix, map is old ect. but because the shortcut is still there doesn't mean it has to be used. Tempted? Well control it because it is against the rules.

Many ppl are tempted to steel in a shop but control it too Wink

I see this like a sport, your good at it (skills) you win (most of the time Razz), your bad at it you accept it train more and more or you try to cheat with drugs (EPO or w/e i'm no expert Razz) or any other things that will give you an unfair advantage towards others.

BT isn't about finding the lamest shortcut ever and hide it. It's being the fastest on the way the mapper wanted it to be done, NOT by skipping a part of the map by using a bug or w/e.
WOW you can be so proud of yourself, now sstt and tell no one, but if it hits the daylight and trust me most of the times it will because ppl will wonder how and look for the shortcut and the good ppl here will report and there u go, your busted and you get a nice red profile, rec deleted, was it worth it? This one rec? ppff

DanBennett

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just silly imo.
but hey, it's what I think Smile

Each to their own...

Bring back the fun days please Rolling Eyes

}ElitE{Mike`

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

but a large part of rushing for me is looking at the record and saying ok, im 5 secs short where can i improve, then if i find its unfair ill make it known. Theres no clear way of handling this. Your contradicting the rules, your saying....we don't allow unfair shortcuts, but if you use one, don't worry, just share it with everyone and its fine to use it.

GhOsT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

nono we don't allow all shortcuts, some are fixed and some not.
And your saying it all wrong, you NOT use get rec then report, your to late then !

Some are hard and requires alot skill so they are out in the open and allowed.

BT-Control-v4 is fixed many times and yet still shortcuts are found so u can understand we were getting tired of the map so we allowed the last found shortcut.

}ElitE{Mike`

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is this topic to expose shortcuts we cannot fix? and therefore allow?

}ElitE{LAg`
USER: LAGGEH

DominatingDominating
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

finding shortcuts is a skill and should not be counted as an unfair advantage. The admins know this.
however this topic is dealing with ONLY large/lame sc's which cannot be fixed/prevented.
the type of shortcuts which fall into a grey area will need to be closely debated as to whether they are fairly found or need to be exposed in this topic.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6