Movers that change texture+ Triggered lights+ Multiple tex

Forum Forum rules Search FAQ
Maps & Mapping
Movers that change texture+ Triggered lights+ Multiple tex
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Whitey-
USER: PENNYWISE

RampageRampage
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:35    Post subject: Movers that change texture+ Triggered lights+ Multiple tex

So i'm mapping a BT style of DOOM2's 3rd Map with Bt sequences and obstacles implemented through it. I'm going to keep majorit of the maps original integrity intact including it's original textures. ( (CN)+DOOM textures)

How ever i'd like the original DOOM button movers when pressed to change to the "on" texture and possibly( haven't decided yet) trigger the correct light for the texture when switched on. so when it turns on a green light will turn on when the texture changes to on. If that makes sense.

And on another note, how would i go about making say a flame texture? or a flowing water wall with multiple textures?

are there any easy to follow tutorials for these?

Pic for reference of what im going for.

RoelerCoaster
USER: MMI

i4Games Trusteei4Games Trustee
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 15:43    Post subject: Re: Movers that change texture+ Triggered lights+ Multiple t

PennyWise wrote:
How ever i'd like the original DOOM button movers when pressed to change to the "on" texture and possibly( haven't decided yet) trigger the correct light for the texture when switched on. so when it turns on a green light will turn on when the texture changes to on. If that makes sense.

There are various ways to do this.

Probably the easiest way is to apply the on and off texture of the indicator to opposite sides of a rectangular mover. When the indicator should be "on", you quickly rotate the mover tot the correct side (that is, a move time of 0). If it should be "off", you have to rotate the mover back again.

This is for example how the "breaking machine" on AS-Frigate works.

The only downside of this method is that it may lead to a lot of additional movers if you have many buttons like this. Also, you run the risk of movers turning invisible, and movers moving this fast can glitch a bit.

Another way would be to use ScriptedTextures, and TriggeredTexture actor, which is perhaps a bit closer to something you would expect.

It essentially works as follows:
- Apply a scripted texture on the location you want the button to appear
- Setup the TriggeredTexture to point to this ScriptedTexture
- Assign the textures you want to appear at your location.
- Triggering the TriggeredTexture cycles through the textures in a round robin fashion. So if you have two textures (on and off), consecutive triggering of the TriggeredTexture toggles between the two textures.

There are a few things you have to take into account
- you have to create a fresh ScriptedTexture for every button you created, so ALSO for the different sides of the map. You can create textures by doing File -> New -> ScriptedTexture. Saving these in MyLevel is probably easiest.
- The textures you cycle between must all share the same palette, or must have very similar palettes, or you wil get weird color glitches on your textures. I know Epic's command line tool Bright is able to convert a batch of images such that the palettes are shared, I guess there are also graphics editing programs that allow you to do this but I don't know about them.

I primarily used this second method for all the indicator lights on BT-Aperture, so you could look there if you need an example.

To add lights, you would have to add two TriggerLights at the correct position relative to the indicator texture, and then trigger the light that should be on at the correct time.

PennyWise wrote:
And on another note, how would i go about making say a flame texture? or a flowing water wall with multiple textures?

If you want to make an animated fire texture like the ones in UnrealShare for example, you will have to manually create a FireTexture (See here). You can create one by doing File -> New -> FireTexture. You essentially get a canvas on which you can paint your fire with different effects and colors. I have to add that this method is very hard to get right, and unless you want to torture yourself it is not really recommended.

If you want to make an animation by a sequence of textures, see here.
If the animation moves too quickly, you have to set the MaxFrameRate property in the properties of the first texture.

-Whitey-
USER: PENNYWISE

RampageRampage
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 09:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Thanks heaps Roel.
Will try these out. Map shouldn't be too big/complex so i might see how the first option goes. Very Happy

Page 1 of 1