Aren't maps gonna become too big if we'd build for UT4?

Forum Forum rules Search FAQ
General Discussion
Aren't maps gonna become too big if we'd build for UT4?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[i4g]s0urCe
USER: S0URCE

DominatingDominating
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 19:00    Post subject: Aren't maps gonna become too big if we'd build for UT4?

I was thinking, since UT4 maps are getting kinda big in size, wouldn't it become kinda much when everyone starts making BT maps in the new game?
Currently maps arent that big with the old UT but I thought it might get problematic after a while.

What you think Surprised

RoelerCoaster
USER: MMI

i4Games Trusteei4Games Trustee
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already maps hitting the limits of UT, especially large doublesided BT-Maps, for example RobinHood][ or Synthesis.

There was a project for BT for UT4 by Irridium77 and others a while ago, but I am not sure if that is still being developed.

drunklove
USER: EVOL_KNURD

PlayerPlayer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think if the assets provided by Epic were reused it would keep the filesize down. Unfortunately you'll get alot of maps that look the same which if I remember plagued the UT3 scene for some time.

Filesizes are still going to be large considering it's a newer game engine but I'm willing to bet it's the custom content that would overbloat things(ie. importing 2048x2048/4096x4096 textures). Chances are most mappers wouldn't bother creating too much custom content considering how time consuming it is. Then again if they're willing to learn Matinee and Blueprints what do I know. :s

SAFeSTeR
USER: SAFECRACKER

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmi wrote:
There was a project for BT for UT4 by Irridium77 and others a while ago, but I am not sure if that is still being developed.

I think the Speed mod that BT was based on has been scrapped or shelved. Hopefully Epic are concentrating on the main game features for now and will bring back Speed sometime in the future.

Page 1 of 1