What's the best way to make a 'compilation' map?

Forum Forum rules Search FAQ
Maps & Mapping
What's the best way to make a 'compilation' map?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAFeSTeR
USER: SAFECRACKER

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 18:48    Post subject: What's the best way to make a 'compilation' map?

I've been thinking about making a compilation map but am unsure of the best way to do this as I've heard about a few issues that can occur from copy/pasting between maps, particularly with things in 'MyLevel'.

I seem to remember a thread on the forum which included clear and detailed instructions of the correct procedure, but I can't find it for the life of me. I thought it was in one of the 'community map' threads but I have not located it yet.

So, does anyone know of, and can link to the correct thread that I'm thinking of ? Or failing that, tell me the do's and don'ts of copy/pasting between maps.

Thanks in advance.

RoelerCoaster
USER: MMI

i4Games Trusteei4Games Trustee
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember what instructions you mean, it was not a thread on this forum, but in one of the notes-files in the BOX-folder of BT-Synthesis:
Quote:
The method I always use is a bit tedious but it usually works:
Say map A is the assembly file, and B and C need to be imported:

1. Open map B, and open the texture browser on my level, and select the "all" button

2. Select everything (EXCEPT the builder brush and the camera actor) and copy.

3. Open map A keeping the texture browser open

4. It may happen that UED crashes now (not very common), in that case go back to step 1, otherwise continue

5. When map A is loaded, check the texture browser (which is still open) to see if no texture went corrupt. If there is a corrupted texture, DO NOT SAVE map A, close UED, and start back at step 1. If everything is ok, continue

6. Paste the copied actors of map B in map A, and rebuild.

7. Save map A

8. CLOSE UED

9. Open UED again and open map C and repeat the process

This is by no means THE procedure btw, it is just what has always worked for me. Especially saving a lot and closing the editor between steps is important as the editor does not seem to like it when you open a lot of maps in sequence.

Some other tips:

• Myleveled textures can be problematic. When the textures are in the same texture-group (especially the default nameless group), colors of the textures may become corrupted when importing the other rooms. Usually you will have to re-import the texture (with a different name) and then replace all the textures.
  • When you try to copy-paste actors from one map to another, some of the information sometimes gets lost during the copy, leading to very strange bugs (doesn't happen too often though). I usually get a bit suspicious when pasting a lot of actors is very fast without any hiccup. Just make sure to keep many backups, so you can always roll back and try the copy-paste again if anything fails. I usually make a new save for every imported set of rooms.

SAFeSTeR
USER: SAFECRACKER

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's it, that's what I remember seeing. Thanks Roel, I knew if anyone it would be you who could help Smile

It may not be thee procedure, but it's a damn good start! I'm quite happy with things being a bit long winded if they work, I'll try it out once I figure out which rooms to use and I'm quite used to lots of saving / backups with UED, we all know how fragile it can be.

Thanks once again.

Ozma777
USER: OZMA777

DominatingDominating
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also an alternate method I used in DM-XC-Ozma777-UT99org-V2 (which I should have made DOM btw):

same scenario importing map B and C to map A:

Open map B, then open map C, then open map A
in another editor open map B highlight everything EXCEPT builder brush and camera copy and paste into map A (which has all the textures from B and C already)
then open map C in another editor and do the same.

edit: just like above you ALWAYS want to save map A as mapAplusB or something like that just in case the textures get corrupted. Missing actors sometimes can be a problem too, although it usually only takes another copy actor/repaste actor to fix it.

Page 1 of 1