Weird 'i4games email'

Forum Forum rules Search FAQ
Help & Troubleshooting
Weird 'i4games email' - phishing???
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAFeSTeR
USER: SAFECRACKER

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 22:56    Post subject: Weird 'i4games email' - phishing???

Received this email yesterday, can an admin confirm or deny if it is genuine?

Although at first glance it looks legitimate, it also looks rather suspicious as the email address / name are not recognisable, usually emails are from Medics email or from i4games info email address, this was from 'Apache'.

The format of the email looks just like what I'd expect from an i4g email notification, the links look genuine, even when I hover over them the same link is shown in the bottom left of my browser (often this is different in phishing emails).

Upon further investigation there is a topic called 'The donation system', but the last reply was in 2008. The first email link shows post number '121890' which does not exist when I searched the site, the post number before it does exist though and is the most recent post made on the site, this makes me think the email is genuine and maybe the post got deleted (the time of the email fits into this theory) or maybe the site was victim of a hack attempt?

[i4g]Medic
USER: MEDIC

i4Games Head Admini4Games Head Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

This is not phishing. This is an e-mail sent whenever someone posts to a forum thread you've participated.
I've deleted the forum posts recently, that's why you can't see it.
And I've forgot to set up the proper e-mail sender name after I moved server, that's why you see "Apache" (which is the web server name).

Best,
%edic

SAFeSTeR
USER: SAFECRACKER

Godlike!Godlike!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying Medic, I really was in 2 minds about the authenticity of it. I don't usually receive email notifications for topic replies and that made me suspicious as well as the other things I mentioned.

Page 1 of 1