Issues regarding SLV, RX or NW in conjunction with NWBT

Forum Forum rules Search FAQ
Maps & Mapping
Issues regarding SLV, RX or NW in conjunction with NWBT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloeb
USER: BLOEB

RampageRampage
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 22:36    Post subject: Issues regarding SLV, RX or NW in conjunction with NWBT

------------------------------------------------------------
:: Strangelove, RocketX and NaliWeapons using NWBT/BTME

Since the first release of the NWBT-mod I've received questions from mappers in regard to making Strangelove-, RocketX- and NaliWeapons-maps for BunnyTrack. The idea is pretty cool and a few maps already exist that work with the BTInsta-mod (read below). Recently yet another mapper has requested my assistance, but each time I have to dissapoint them. Making an SLV-map or RX-map for BunnyTrack is actually quite easy, but making it properly work with the NWBT/BTME-mod is a delicate operation. Strangelove and RocketX are not simple weapon-mods and there is a list of big issues that need to be resolved. In this topic I would like to address those issues so that mappers won't screw this up and cause a shitstorm of problems for the BunnyTrack community.

If you're not a technical modder I would advise you to leave this idea entirely. If anyone is interested in resolving these issues or has valuable insight please let us know.

Let's start:

:: Issue 1: Server configuration-properties

Strangelove, RocketX and NaliWeapons are intricate mods that can not be compared to basic weapon mods. A basic weapon mod usually relies on a few actors (e.g. Weapon, Effects, Projectiles). However, the SLV, RX and NW mods have many more actors. The most obvious is the enhanced HUD, but there are also additional Mutator-, ReplicationInfo-, Audio- and Utility-actors. All these actors work in conjunction and have properties that need to be configured (using the ini settings files). Some properties can be configured by the client while other properties need to be configured by the server.

For NWBT it is essential that your map does not rely on a specific server configuration to work. Therefore, when you make a map using the NWBT/BTME-mod you must override (i.e. force) all server properties from within the map. Typically this can be done using the BTME_Mutator or the BTME_ActorConfiguration. Unfortunately I don't know all server-side properties.

:: Issue 2: Multi-gametype server configuration

The problem with the configuration-properties becomes even more difficult when someone is hosting multiple gametypes on a single server. A server-administrator could for example host both CTF-SLV and BT on one server. The server configuration for CTF-SLV should not interfere with the configuration/experience of the BT-SLV maps.

:: Issue 3: Loading and coding issues

More recent versions of SLV2 can not be completely loaded in UnrealEd. UnrealEd will crash when you select an SL-weapon in the actor-browser. The reason is unknown to me, but maybe there is some native module integrated that UnrealEd can't handle. There is an alternative way by loading the SLV-Mutators and configuring the SLV-actors using the BTME_Mutator (I might give this another go when I have more time on my hands).

Older versions of SLV2 have native modules for OGG audio. I've no idea if this is required or could lead to issues for server-admins and players.

:: Issue 4: Compatibility and testing

Compatibility with the wide variety of BunnyTrack-mods requires extensive testing.

For example; Anti-cheat software (e.g. UTPure and ACE) will typically not render customized HUDs or even crash the map when a custom HUD is detected. Since the SLV and RX enhanced HUDs are loaded differently from a normal server configuration this might not work as intended.

Another example; apparently the BT++ timer doesn't work properly with the RX8 mod. I'm not sure about the other SLV and RX versions.

:: Strangelove and RocketX using BTInsta

Some modders have already created a few RX and SLV maps for BT since the early days of BT. These maps can be played on a basic server configuration using BT, RX/SLV and BTInsta. The BTInsta-mod is a simple Mutator that provides the SuperShockRifle as a default weapon to each player, but also allows Normal Weapons to be picked up. The BTInsta mod however is not created for integration within maps. Making SLV- and RX-maps for this setup is pretty straightforward. You create a map and place Redeemers. The Redeemers will automatically be replaced by the KongLauncher. Unfortunately, your map will not work on servers with a different configuration.

This topic is just to inform and hopefully spark a discussion. Rolling Eyes

Sincerely,
Bloeb

Page 1 of 1